When practicing Ashtanga Yoga (Mysore Style) in any shala around the globe there are a few guidelines that are to be followed:
- Please respect the student-teacher relationship and follow any request from the teacher.
- Inform teacher of any injuries, recent surgeries, and pregnancies.
- Practice Primary Series on your first visit to new studios.
- Please respect and follow the traditional Ashtanga method as taught by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois and Sacred Space Yoga. Please do not add, skip or in other ways deviate from the traditional Ashtanga sequence of yoga asanas unless acknowledged or requested by your teacher. If you do not know the sequence or if following the traditional method is not possible for you,either talk to your teacher or request guidance to find a more appropriate class for you.
- Keep your attention on yourself and stay on your mat. Please refrain from assisting others during practice.
- Please do not take/practice any new poses unless your teacher says otherwise.
- Please remove your shoes before entering the shala.
- Turn your cellphone OFF.
- Kindly leave your mat free and clear of all personal belongings.
- Come well hydrated and leave your water outside the practice room.
- Refrain from unnecessary talking.
- Personal hygiene is an integral part of practicing yoga. Make sure that you and your gear are clean.
- Practice with care and deliberation for yourself and towards others.
- Ladies should take rest for the first 2-3 days of your moon (monthly) cycle.
- Do not underestimate the effects of Ashtanga Yoga. After all it is Yoga Chikitsa “Yoga Therapy.”
- NO MYSORE PRACTICE OR EARLY LED CLASSES ON NEW AND FULL MOON DAYS.